Finding your Wedding Venue
Finding the perfect venue that is authentically you, within your price range and available on your selected date is a huge challenge. There are so many options to choose from, whether you’re looking for a rustic barn, an elegant ballroom, a cozy restaurant, or a windswept beach. Here is our guide as to what to consider and the questions to ask.
Your Venue Shortlist
We recommend that you start with a shortlist of 3 venues. However, ask yourself these questions about a prospective venue before it even goes on the shortlist. Answer with your head, not your heart!
- Can I afford this venue?
- Does this venue align with my vision?
- Does this venue suit our style?
- Will the size work with my guest list?
- Does this venue include enough to work with my budget?
- Is this venue authentic to us as a couple?
Your Venue Checklist
Scheduling, Spaces and Facilities
- Is my date available?
- Are there other weddings scheduled that day?
- How many guests can the venue accommodate?
- How long do we have the space for?
- How much for additional hours?
- Can the ceremony be held here too? If so, is there a fee?
- Can we have a rehearsal here?
- Are there adequate bathroom facilities?
- Is the site handicap accessible?
- Is there on site parking? Valet?mComplimentary?
- What is the cut-off time?
- Are tables, chairs, linens, plates, silverware, glassware provided?
- Or will I have to rent them myself or get them through my caterer?
- Is there a maximum number? Is there a minimum number fee?
- Do you have overnight accommodation?
- If not, what is nearby? Do you have relationships with them?
- Can you help arrange shuttle buses?
Vendors and Setup
- Can we choose our own vendors, or do you have a preferred list?
- Can the venue accommodate a DJ or live band?
- What security services do you offer?
- Do you provide a coat check service?
- What time can my vendors start setting up on day of the wedding?
- Will your staff be involved in setting up/breaking down?
- Who is responsible for linens?
- What floor plan do you recommend for my guest count?
- Are there any decor restrictions? Are candles permitted?
Food and Beverage
- Do you have an in-house caterer or a list of preferred caterers?
- Do I have the option of using an outside caterer instead?
- If I hire my own caterer, are kitchen facilities available?
- Is there a food and beverage minimum?
- What are the tax and service/gratuity charges?
- Can we do a tasting before we finalize our menu? Is there a charge?
- Do you have a liquor license?
- If so, do you charge per person or on consumption?
- Do I have the option of bringing my own alcohol?
- Is there a fee for bringing our own cake or desserts?
- Is there a cake-cutting/serving fee?
- Is there a contingency plan for inclement weather if required?
- Do you provide heaters and/or umbrellas for the outdoor spaces?
- Do you provide signage to direct my guests? If not, can I bring my own? Do you provide easels, etc?
- What is the venue fee?
- What does that include?
- Does it cover service charges, gratuity, and cleaning fees, or are those fees additional?
- Is there a discount for off-peak? Non-Saturday Weddings?
- What is the deposit? When is it due?
- Do you have liability insurance?
- What is the cancellation policy?
- Is there a payment plan for the final account?
- Can you provide us with a price quote that includes all taxes/fees?